April 2 - April 5, 2017
The course is typically offered in spring and fall, usually March and October.
Gain the skills to manage the design and development of products for strategic competitive advantage. This intensive three-day certificate program provides the skills related to managing creativity and design, customer-focused innovation, gap analysis in the design process, strategy in design, industrial design essentials, human factors, and intellectual property. Participants will also gain skills in managing the product development phase-gate process, teams, and product performance metrics. Leading faculty from Northwestern University's Robert R. McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science and the Kellogg School of Management team with industry experts use real world case studies and group workshops to illustrate the concepts discussed in the program.
In this program, you will:
- Gain skills in identifying opportunities in the product development process
- Learn a structured process for product development that uses specific phases and criteria to ensure successful product introductions
- Understand human factors and usability in the design process
- Learn to use appropriate management strategies and supporting metrics to assure optimal performance by a product development group
- Acquire techniques to enhance creativity as well as manage intellectual capital
- Learn the underlying principles of project management for success
- Learn about end-user focused innovation research and the designer's role in achieving product success
- Understand customer focused innovation and more insightful market research
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for product design and development professionals who have either technical or marketing backgrounds. Participants who would benefit most are those who have a passion for product design and development and whose organizations will benefit from a robust product development process.
For more details, please view the Executive Education program brochure and the Executive Education presentation schedule.